Sports round up

Posted on Friday, 23rd March 2018 in SPORTS

U13 Football Tournament at South Lee

After a short bus ride we arrived at South Lee ready to play in our last football tournament of the season.  First up we faced Finborough.  I won the toss and chose to kick off first. Both teams started quickly applying the pressure, but I managed to slip through their defence to get the first goal. Half-time score was 1-0 to Moreton Hall. Soon into the second half with some great passing between Ed Harc and Henry, I managed to break through their defence again and after a one on one with their goal keeper managed to get a second goal.  Although Harry, Wilf, Jameson and Harley defended really well, it was down to Merlin to make a top class goal line clearance to keep a clean sheet for Moreton Hall with a 2-0 win.

Next up we were against South Lee and soon into the game we were awarded a corner which Ed Harc took and perfectly placed it for Henry to score.  With good work from the whole team we started to dominate with me scoring two and Ed Harc got one.  Most of the action was in South Lee’s half and with the goal keeper coming off his line it was down to Harry to take advantage and flick the ball into the net.  Half time score was 5-0 to Moreton Hall. We kept up the pressure and Henry scored the goal of the match from a great strike.  After a bit of a slip up in midfield, South Lee did get one back.  We then changed things around as we wanted to get Harley to get his first goal of the season having worked so hard in defence.  Unfortunately he headed the ball into the wrong goal, but he quickly redeemed himself by scoring a great goal in the right net to give us a 7-2 win.

Our final match was against Kings Ely which we knew was going to be tough as they had drawn with Finborough.  The opposition started off at some speed and with a great strike the ball went straight over Merlin’s head, giving him no chance at all, they scored to go in front.  We fought back strongly and Ed Harc scored the vital equaliser to make it 1-1 at half time. After a positive team talk from Mr James we battled hard and managed to go one in front. The match was coming to an end and with brilliant defending from Harry, Harley and Wilf we thought we had the win, but with seconds to go Kings Ely won a corner.  We were all there defending our goal, but unfortunately the ball caught Ed Harc’s shin pad and went straight into the back of the net.  We all stood there in disbelief as the whistle went for full-time for a 2-2 draw.

Man of the match goes to the whole team for great all round play and winning the overall tournament – it was a great end to the football season, but rather a sad one with it being the last match for many of the players wearing a Moreton Hall football shirt!

Thank you to Mr James for coaching and refereeing and to South Lee for match tea.

Tyler Weaver, Captain of Football

U11 football v Cambridge International School

For the first minute we pressured their defence giving them no time at all.  Fraser had a dribble down the wing and passed to Archie who bagged his first of the day. CIS change their goalkeeper and Archie scored again and then again for his first hat trick of the season and we were still in the first half!  Just before the break George scored.  Mr Thompson said that I could go in goal, Rory could go out field and Harrison would move to attack.  Myself and Rory switched shirts and the second half started.  With shot after shot Fraser finally scored. CIS started to attacke but this was cleverley closed down by George.  I had the ball in my hands and kicked it up field, Fraser scored which I thought was an assist, however George explained that it had skimmed Charlie’s foot before getting to Fraser.  Harrison had a couple of good runs but could not convert.  The final score was 6-0 to Moreton Hall.

Thank you Mr Thompson for coaching and the kitchen for match teas.

Edward (cpt)

U11 netball v Holmwood House

We lost the toss and they chose first centre pass.  We were inspired to win because it was the last match of the season. We knew it was going to be hard but we had a great start and passed the ball down the court, but they intercepted and scored a goal.  We got the ball back and Issy scored.  Unfortunately they scored 8 more goals.  In the second quarter we tried our best and scored again.  Our defence was much tighter and so they only scored 2 more goals with us scoring one more.

In the third quarter we had some excellent passing from Cece, Jemima, Abi and Olivia who passed the ball to Issy and she scored a goal.  Despite our best efforts Holmwood House scored two and then we scored one more.  In the last quarter we put in a huge effort to score two goals but they managed to score five before we managed another two.  The final score was 8-18 to Holmwood House.  Thank you Mrs K for coaching and the kitchen for match tea. Girl of teh girl was Lilia for her excellent defending.

Olivia (cpt.)

U9 hockey v Holmwood House

We lost the toss and they chose first centre pass.  We started off well and Amelia scored a goal.  Then they scored 2 goals. Then the whistle blew for half time.  We had an encouraging team talk from Mrs Bushell and we were ready to go again for the next half.  We started off very well by scoring 2 goals, one from Caris and one from Amelia then they scored 1 goal just before the whistle blew for full time. The final score was 3-3. Girl of the game goes to Caris, chosen by Holmwood. Thank you to Mrs Bushell for excellent umpiring and the kitchen for match tea.

Harriet (cpt.)